Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Internet Curfew!?

While looking at the new topics on slashdot I came across an article titled "Internet Curfew for College Students." While the article is written about top Indian engineering schools, and not Americans, it still strikes me as absurd. The article states that the school cuts off all internet acccess at night to the dorms. The Dean of Student Affairs says its because the hardrives of students are filled with bad content. I think this is not only crazy but also a detriment to the school. College students live a very different lifestyle than the average person, and in this lifestyle they often do work very late at night. I think this will dramatically reduce the productivity of the students, not to mention a possible uproar it would cause. I guess I am writing this all from an American perspective, where I would hope this type of policy would never be able to go into effect. Maybe in India this is not such a violation of human rights and is much more accetptable to the citizens. Personally, I still think its a bad idea and I would be outraged if a similiar program ever took place in the U.S.

2 comments:

Matt Corritori said...

I also find the Internet Curfew thing absurd. Most college kids do not do work until 10 or 11 at night and need Internet access at all hours. Say I am writing a paper and need to know facts but can't get them, then that will reduce the quality of my paper. Something like this would not happen in America because people would go nuts. Good article

rcarman said...

I am glad to see that you agree with me. I would hope that most students and people in America do agree. That would mean crazy policies like this would remain only in far off nations.