Tuesday, May 8, 2007

Inside Adwords Mothers Day Article

While browsing Adwords these morning, I noticed an article regarding Mother's Day. It says the average amount an American spends on this holiday is $140. That seems to me like an extremely high amount. If we spend this much just on Mother's Day, I'd be interested to know how much the average American spends on even more of a consumer holiday, such as Christmas. The article also made me feel a little bad, since I will only be spending a small fraction of that amount this year. But hey, I am a poor college students, how much can my mom expect? The rest of the article was explaining to advertisers how to capture part of this last minute market.

2 comments:

Matt Kates said...

I was really surprised by Roger's post about the mother's day article that the average American spends $140 on Mothers day.
Mother's are important, and I love my mom...but I have never spent anywhere close to $140 dollars.
Maybe that will change when I get a job, but until then...taking her to lunch or buying her a card will be about the only monitary contributions I make to this holiday.
I think you can give your mom a good Mother's day without spending hundreds of dollars.

rcarman said...

I was thinking this is a very large amount also. Maybe the average is highly skewed because some of the wealthier people may buy their moms extravagant gifts like vacation homes. Obviously one person spending hundreds of thousands of dollars would more than account for many people paying only a couple of dollars. So maybe instead of a mean (which I assume they used), the median or mode would have been a better and more realistic number to look at.