Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Slashdot: Walmart

I had not read many of the blogs on slashdot for quite some time. I have come to realize that slashdot is my favorite of the required blogs. This is mostly because the blogs are concise and to the point, and that it is updated most frequently. An article that caught my eye this time was about the super retailer Wal-Mart . It said that Wal-Mart is making a huge push for HD DVD players(Blue-Ray). Up until now I had been skeptical if these players would catch on, especially since DVD's are still considered a somewhat new innovation. However, once Wal-Mart makes a decision like this, it pretty much puts it in stone that all other retailers are going to have to adapt and buy these players as well. It really is amazing how much power and control over the market Wal-Mart has. That said, I still refuse to shop there on principle.

4 comments:

Kerri Angell said...

Roger's view on Walmart's power is very interesting. They obviously have a strong first mover advantage by selling these new players in their store and have put pressure on other retailers to jump on the bandwagon. It is sad to me the kind of influence Walmart has on other stores because it makes it so that if competitors aren't offering everything Walmart offers they will lose business to this super giant.

rcarman said...

WalMart creates a lot of different emotions for me. One is sadness for the manufacturing workers and mom and pop stores who have been displaced. Another is anger that walmart is a net loss to our economy yet everyone continues to shop there because it saves them a few dollars. It is frustrating to me that this continues.

Katie S. said...

I agree with both of you about your views on WalMart. I think it is important to continue to support the mom and pop shops, even if it means paying a few extra bucks. However, we all know that people will buy anything if they think they are getting a deal. Therefore, WalMart will coninue to dominate due to their low cost strategy. They are the best at what they do.

P.S. Slashdot is my favorite blog too, Roger.

Matt Kates said...

Unfortunately, I think that Walmart is here to stay.
I think that at some time in the future, Walmart may get into some trouble for its various business practices, but as of yet they haven't gone far enough to warrent government intervention.
I only hope they don't do any more damage to small business in the economy than they already have.

I shopped there once for ping pong balls. I was upset at myself.